Liveblog: Coronavirus (week 14)

| Redactie

In this liveblog, we will share the latest updates with you regarding the coronavirus and measures both the UT and its community are taking.



3/4, 14:02 | Aloha donates breathable shirts to MST

Figuring that walking around all day long in protective clothing will get unpleasant quite fast for hospital personnel, student triathlon association Aloha donated a big pile of breathable shirts to local hospital MST.  They delivered 80 shirts, from previous editions of the UT Triathlon. 

2/4, 12:42 | TechMed researchers making snorkel masks suitable for breathing support

Dutch newspaper Trouw writes that researchers from the TechMed Centre are making snorkel masks from sports store Decathlon suitable for breathing support. In some countries, this specific snorkel mask is already used by healthcare personnel to protect against the corona virus. The TechMed researchers are testing if an extension can turn the snorkel mask into a respiratory support mask. According to professor Ruud Verdaasdonk, around 20 to 30 percent of corona patients can be directly helped with this type of respiratory support, specifically patients with less severe respiratory complaints.

1/4, 16:39 | Extended measures Dutch authorities: implications for UT

The Dutch government extents its measures to slow the spread of the coronavirus until April 28. That was announced by Prime Minister Mark Rutte in a press conference on Tuesday evening. The rule that prohibits events will remain in effect till 1 June.

In accordance with these rules, the UT buildings will remain closed as they are now until at least 28 April. Employees and students are obliged to work from home. The existing temporary conditions for leave and absence have been extended until 28 April. A few exceptions to the working-from-home-rules are made for employees in the TechMed Centre and the NanoLab.

1/4, 15:48 | Dozens of millions for corona research

The Dutch government and research financers like NWO and ZonMW are investing more than €35 million in 'urgent' corona research proposals. These proposals can be aimed at, for instance: How does the infection progress among children? Are there existing vaccines that can be used? How have the Dutch changed their behavior because of the new virus? And what are the consequences of social isolation?

1/4, 15:07 | UT student starts petition to lower tuition fees

Gleb Podorozhnyy, a student of Creative Technology, started a petition to lower the tuition fees for non-EU students. Due to the corona crisis, education at the UT is entirely online now.

31/3, 16:41 | GNSK canceled

The GNSK, which was scheduled to take place on campus this year, is canceled due to the coronacrisis. That was announed by the organization today. The Dutch Student Championship would take place on June 5, 6 and 7. Over 1500 athletes were expected to show their skills on the UT campus. 

31/3, 13:10 | 63 students (still) abroad

According to UT spokesperson Laurens van der Velde, there are currently 63 students abroad. He says about 75% of them want to stay there because it's their home country or they're in a stable situation. The other 25% wants to return, but can't because of travel restrictions.

30/3, 16:27 | Solar Boat Twente keeps working

Student team Solar Boat Twente keeps working on their boat. They aim to finish it for the World Championships in Monaco that is still planned to take place in the beginning of July. Many of their other races have been cancelled due to the new measures to control the coronavirus outbreak. The team therefore cannot participate in the Dutch Championship, which was scheduled for May and will not be held at all this year. The Solar Sport One competition, scheduled for May and June, might postpone their races for later this year.

30/3, 13:30 | 500 ventilators to be built by Demcon

UT spin-off Demcon in Enschede will build 500 ‘simplified’ ventilators for the Dutch government. The company has reached an agreement with the Ministry of Economic Affairs. The coronavirus causes an influx of patients to the intensive care units of hospitals. As a result, there may be a shortage of ventilators. Daughter company Demcon Macawi hopes to be able to deliver the 500 ventilators within two weeks.

30/3, 13:26 | New liveblog

We started this new liveblog, to keep you up to date about developments this week. Last week's liveblog can be accessed through the link below.


Stay tuned

Sign up for our weekly newsletter.