A lot of students struggle with their choice for a BSc and MSc major, let alone for their eventual career. They finish university with more questions than when they started.
Let’s be frank: there are way too many studies to begin with. There are 20 BSc and 37 MSc studies, and then I am conveniently skipping over all the MSc specializations. Who can choose between all that?
You can’t. It’s hard. Life’s a struggle when you’re a muggle.
But the solution is surprisingly easy. Let’s just replace the whole system by four Houses:
House of Engineering. Basically Gryffindor but with a Beaver instead of a lion.
Social House. Basically Hufflepuff. Parrot.
House of IT. Basically Ravenclaw. Beetle.
House of Business. Basically Slytherin. Fox.
We develop an AI that we put in a hat, which picks your study for you (and eventually wipes out humanity). And until that time, you can use the following quiz:
1. You are walking across the promenade, past the half-sunken church tower, when you see a student who has fallen into the water and is begging for help. What do you do?
- You start looking for materials to build a bridge so you can safely reach the student.
- You open your ‘How to communicate efficiently’ book and look for the chapter about students who are drowning in icy water next to half-sunken church towers.
- You keep walking. You are wearing AirPods after all so you can’t hear the student.
- You save the student in exchange for €50 and his/her lunch.
2. You have an exam next week. What do you do?
- Study hard and pass with a 6.5, largely due to your messy handwriting.
- Use post-its, markers, and tape in 20 different colour variations each, while rewarding yourself with candy after each page of the book that you have read. You pass the exam with flying colours.
- Put all the study material in your calculator.
- Nothing. You made the strategic choice of aiming for the resit.
3. Your bike gets a flat tire. What do you do?
- Fix it.
- You need a new one. You know that <enter your religious God(s)> (Santa Clause if you’re an atheist) doesn’t hand them out for free. So you steal a bike and ask for forgiveness.
- This wasn’t in the script.
- Trade your bike for the bike of another student that doesn’t have a flat tire.
4. What is your main consumption at the university?
- Free instant coffee from my study association.
- Sugar-Free Iced Grande Vanilla Latte with Soy Milk and Extra Whipped Cream and Chocolate Sauce from Starbucks.
- Coffee that you brought with you in your 1L thermos flask.
- Double espresso with sugar.
5. If you could have coffee with your favourite person, who would you have coffee with?
- Elon Musk.
- Zac Efron.
- Sophia or IBM Watson.
6. Why did you go to the University of Twente?
- I did not like Delft.
- Because it was recommended to me after doing every study choice test that I could find online and the ratings for the studies here were good.
- Because my mom told me to.
- Because I did not yet understand that going to university is a horrible decision in terms of cost effectiveness and becoming rich quickly.
7. What is your main role in a group project?
- I mess up the equations.
- Lay-out, grammar, spell check, final presentation, report template, quality check, and I write the evaluation report.
- I post memes in the group Whatsapp, create a badass script, and write an accompanying summary like a 10 year old.
- I trust in my group members and chew bubblegum, and I am all out of bubblegum.
Simply count your answers and see which answer you chose the most:
A – Engineering/Gryffindor.
B – Social/Hufflepuff.
C – IT/Ravenclaw.
D – Business/Slytherin.
Hope this helps with your study/career choice! And if you aren’t happy with the result, well, maybe that letter to Hogwarts will still arrive.